OK, so I finally finished it, but I didn't like the way it fit. Found I never wore it, as it wasn't loose-fitting enough.
After several months, and lots of sporadic ruminating, I finally hit on a solution .
Wide bands, and a shawl collar! Off to the Frog Pond
The alterations took awhile, but it was worth it.
Now I wear this sweater regularly, and it's so nice and warm!
Saving those ab fab buttons for another project.
I added some *afterthought* pockets as shown in Jackie Fee's book, The Sweater Workshop, which are hard to see in the photo. Thanks, Jackie!
Here's the swatch for a summer top with some commercial yarn I bought at Korner Knitters
I chose a simple stitch pattern from
365 Knitting Stitches a Year,
a perpetual Calendar by Ed Martingale.
I thought the simple 4 row pattern from the March 8 entry looked nice in this yarn (center section of swatch)
The yarn is Rio, by Brunswick. 50/50 cotton/acrylic
Size 6 US needle
This knit up quickly, and was fun to make. I prefer the v neck, but the scoop side fits well, too, and I've got versatility!
I made the front neckline a V shape, the back a scoop neck, so the sweater would be
I love having a sweater with a choice of 2
(good fall-back when that first spot on the front won't wash out!
I used Sweater Wizard to create the pattern, and decided on a set-in sleeve, my first knitted from the top down. It worked great!
I chose a provisional cast on with a plan
to add an edging to the hem to compliment the stitch pattern.
Just couldn't see this one with ribbing.
Green wool/mohair cardigan - finished!
Just in time for fall - a raglan sleeve cardigan with collar for me, using about 1100 yds of handspun yarn. The mohair in this garment gives it a wonderful drape.Size US 6 needles, simple bottom-up cardigan pattern designed with Sweater Wizard software. As usual, with sweaters I make using this program, it fits just right! Stockinette stitch body, with moss stitch bands, hem, cuffs and collar. 9 button holes, one at top of collar so it can be worn closed under the chin in cold weather. Knowing how accurate the yardage estimates are in Sweater Wizard, it looked like I might be just short of enough yarn, and I didn't have any more of the fiber to spin. So I made the sweater short, and did, indeed, have to use some solid green handspun on alternate rows in the edgings. It's not noticeably different, so worked out fine.