The finished shawl is just what I had hoped for - 44" square, and great to snuggle under. I also changed the construction of the shawl somewhat, using just one of the edgings called for, and applying it to all four sides of the shawl, rather than the two sides called for in the pattern. My original plan had been to add the other edging along the outside of the first, but after working a few rows I decided it was too dense and that the border needed a more open look. I achieved this, I think, with the fern edging and faggoting I ultimately decided on.
Just finished! The Swallowtail Shawl, Fall 2006 Interweave Knits
At a recent guild dye day I over-dyed this off-white Alpafina yarn and I'm very happy with the new color. Size 4 US needle. I added two repeats of the main pattern stitch to make it larger than the shoulder shawl shown in the magazine photo. I didn't block it savagely, and finished dimensions are approx 42 x 21